I found my Christmas present. I know, I know. I’m a Christmas ruiner. You don’t have to tell me, the shame I felt afterwards was bad enough. While I was pretty disgusted with myself for snooping through his closet looking for my gift, I was actually really pleased with what I found.
We even went out later that evening and I casually mentioned, “I wish I could open my Christmas gift early, it would go great with this top.” The look on his face was priceless.
I’m a jerk, I know. I can’t tell you what it is. Because, let’s face it, someone has to be surprised.
Anyway, I was really pleased because I didn’t expect much, to be completely honest. He’s a guy, and I’ve received some pretty lame gifts from guys in the past. So lame that I came up with a list. Here’s a list of gifts to avoid for your girlfriend this Christmas. If you already got her one and it’s on this list, I’m sorry. 😦
- Jewelry. I’m not talking about diamonds and nice watches. I’m talking about the Kendra Scott earrings and James Avery rings and necklaces that 80% of women in America own. At least be original. The last thing we want is the same exact gift that three of her girlfriends already posted on Facebook.
- A gift card or cash. Not only is this more expensive for you, but it’s totally thoughtless. I’d rather get something inexpensive that he put some thought into than a Victoria’s Secret gift card. (Side note: Gift cards make great additional gifts… just not the only gift.)
- Household appliances. Unless she asked for one, don’t get your girlfriend a vacuum cleaner or a crock pot. It’s pretty insulting and I can almost guarantee you’ll regret it.
- Diet/Fitness stuff. Again, unless she specifically mentioned that she wanted a food scale or a pair of running shoes, don’t even go there. You’ll only hurt yourself.
- Valentine’s Day Stuff. Candy, flowers, stuffed animals. Save it for Valentine’s day. Don’t get me wrong, we appreciate those things, but on Christmas, we want an actual gift.
I think I speak for a lot of women when I say this… Avoid the gifts on this list, at all cost. I could be wrong, maybe I’m just extremely high maintenance and every other girl would love all of these gifts. In which case, I feel really bad for my boyfriend. Except, he did alright so he’s safe for now.